Government Technology: Tax Fraud and the Dark Web in 2019.
In a summary of the findings Carbon Black found these scary statistics with specific numbers showing the low cost to get sensitive data:
- W-2s and 1040s are available on the dark web at relatively low cost, ranging from $1.04 to $52. Names, social security numbers and birthdates can be obtained for a price ranging from $0.19 to $62
- For $1K, a relatively inexperienced hacker can purchase authenticated access to a U.S.-based bank account, file a false tax return,
- Claim the IRS refund and cash out via a cryptocurrency exchange for a 100+% return on investment.
- How-to guides for cashing out other people’s tax returns are available for around $5 but one offer, claiming to be the most comprehensive guide for tax refund cash out, was listed for $70
- A hacker can now provide stolen/purchased identity information (Name, DOB, SSN, etc.) and receive an original image of some person holding a forged passport with matching picture/information and scans of the forged identity documents.